Following is a circular signed by the National President of the Cameroon People’s Democratic Movement (CPDM).
“The National President
-The Secretary General of the Central Committee,
-Heads of Permanent Regional and Divisional Delegations of the Central Committee,
-CPDM, WCPDM and YCPDM Militants,
Subject: Nomination of CPDM Candidates for the Senators election of 25 March 2018.
As you are aware, the poll for the election of Senators will be held on 25 March 2018.
Naturally, the Cameroon People’s Democratic Movement, which has for long been seriously preparing for the poll, will take part in the election, with the legitimate ambition of not only strengthening its current positions within the august institution, but also, as the leading republican party in the country, with the aim of contributing to the consolidation of Cameroon’s democratic system.
For this second senate election in our country’s contemporary history, the CPDM will have to field candidates worthy of senatorial stakes in all electoral constituencies, that is to say, women and men of substance and integrity, with extensive experience, resolutely committed, faithful, loyal, representative, credible and able to contribute with competence and abnegation to the accomplishment of the missions of the Senate, thanks to their political maturity.
This Circular lays down the conditions and procedure for the nomination of the Party’s candidates for the senate election of 25 March 2018.
I- NOMINATION PAPERS
1- Conditions to be fulfilled
The Party’s nomination papers for the election of Senators shall be presented on the basis of regional lists. Each list shall include seven (07) substantive and seven (07) alternate candidates, selected according to the criteria provided for by Law and in accordance with the requirements of the Party’s Basic Texts.
a) Criteria provided for by Law
-The age of the candidates: at least forty (40) years old, on polling day;
- Taking into account of various sociological components of the Region;
- Gender mainstreaming;
The general conditions of eligibility and incompatibility.
b) Requirements of the Party’s Basic Texts
- Loyalty to republican institutions;
- Political commitment and experience;
- Militancy and service to the Party;
- Representativeness, morality, credibility and competence;
- Respect for the ideals of national unity and integration;
- Taking into account the rights of minorities.
2. Composition of the nomination file*
Each candidate for the Party’s nomination for the election of Senators shall submit a file comprising the documents listed below:
- A Party nomination form, provided by the Secretariat General of the Central Committee, duly completed and signed by the applicant;
- Five (5) copies of the declaration of candidacy. The signatures affixed to the said copies must be legalized;
- Five (5) copies of a declaration on honour;
- A copy of birth certificate no more than three (3) months old;
- A certificate of non-conviction no more than three (3) months old;
- A certificate of nationality;
- A tax certificate, or non-taxation certificate;
- Proof of residence in the Region;
- An attestation of registration on an electoral list;
- A curriculum vitae;
- A photocopy of the Party Membership Card;
- Proof of contribution for the last five (5) years;
- A statement of services rendered to the Party;
- The receipt for the payment the CFAF one million (1 000 000) deposit to the Public Treasury, paid jointly by the substantive and alternate candidates.
II- NOMINATION PROCEDURE
1- At the level of Permanent Regional Delegations of the Central Committee
a) The Permanent Regional Delegations of the Central Committee, constituted as Reception, Analysis and Evaluation Commissions shall be responsible for:
- receiving and registering nomination papers;
- verifying their compliance with the above-mentioned criteria;
- issuing a receipt for submission of files, duly dated and signed by the official designated for that purpose;
- analyzing and evaluating nomination papers at first instance;
- the reasoned proposal of two (02) lists ranked in order of preference, without any mix, that best meet the above-mentioned criteria;
- forwarding of the two (02) ranked lists as well as the other lists received by the Commission to the Secretariat General of the Central Committee.
b) The Heads of Permanent Divisional Delegations of the Central Committee shall be members of the Reception, Analysis and Evaluation Commissions.
c) A Note or Memo issued by the Secretary-General of the Central Committee shall, where necessary, specify and supplement the list of members of such Reception, Analysis and Evaluation Commissions.
2-At the level of the Secretariat General of the Central Committee
At this level,
- the nomination papers received shall be checked to ascertain their conformity with the above-mentioned criteria;
- a summary presentation will be made on the nomination papers to be forwarded to the National President.
III- SCHEDULE OF NOMINATION OPERATIONS
a) Complete nomination papers shall be submitted, against receipt, to the Permanent Regional Delegations of the Central Committee, acting as
Regional Commissions for the Reception, Analysis and Evaluation of nomination papers, no later than Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 6 p.m.
b) Regional Commissions for the Reception, Analysis and Evaluation of nomination papers shall forward their reports to the Secretariat General of the Central Committee no later than Friday, 16 February 2018 at 6 p.m.
IV- MISCELLANEOUS AND FINAL PROVISIONS
1- All documents produced by candidates shall be attached to the reports of Permanent Regional Delegations of the Central Committee and of Regional Commissions for the Reception, Analysis and Evaluation of Nominations, as appendixes.
2- The capacity of Member of a nomination body shall be incompatible with that of candidate for nomination for senate election.
3- No person may be member of more than one nomination body.
In order to ensure the nomination of credible candidates, a guarantee of a CPDM victory in the election, it is of the utmost importance that the Comrades involved in the nomination process exercise rigour, objectivity, integrity, discretion and patriotism.
The Secretary General of the Central Committee shall be responsible for ensuring the strict application of the guidelines contained in this Circular.”
Yaounde, 8 February 2018